New VMware VI Toolkit 1.0 fixes connectivity to Server 2 RC1

Well, the final 1.0 version of the VMware VI Toolkit (for Windows) came out 25 Jul 2008, without much fanfare. I had been using the 1.0 beta version for a few months, and things seemed good. I used it against ESX 3.0.1 and VirtualCenter 2.0 at work, and against beta versions of VMware Server 2.0 at home.

When VMware Server 2.0 Release Candidate 1 came out, I was quite unhappy that the VI Toolkit seemed to no longer work. I couldn’t even get Get-VIServer to connect to the local web services provided by VMware Server, though it had worked great for the last few months. Issuing the command:

Get-VIServer localhost -Port 8333

yielded nothing but an error. For weeks I tried different steps, from removing the VI Toolkit, to removing the Toolkit and Server, and reinstalling fresh. No dice.

I had pretty much given up, until I saw that v1.0 final of the Toolkit was available. After uninstalling the beta version, and installing the new version, jackpot. The “Get-VIServer” command mentioned above now worked again! Score. You might notice that the command is now an Alias for the new cmdlet “Connect-VIServer“. You might not. There is also a corresponding “Disconnect-VIServer“. Hurray.

Either way, VMware apparently changed something in Server RC1, and the new Toolkit is apparently updated as well to accommodate said change. I searched the web off and on for a couple of weeks. Hopefully this post will save someone some trouble.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s